Real Estate Talk

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

What a year

Can you believe 2006 is here already? Where did 2005 go? This time last year I was getting ready to leave my PR job of 16 years and embark on a new career in real estate. My first official day as a full time real estate agent was Jan. 10, 2005. I assumed that things would be slow and I'd have plenty of time to get my systems in place and work on updating my database and all those other things they tell new agents to do. As it turned out, things weren't really all that slow and I've been going nonstop since. Not complaining, mind you just making an observation. My first full time year in real estate was actually pretty busy. I sold 10 houses in 2005. My goal for 2006 is to double that number. Right now I have two listings and several buyers ready to begin their search. Also last year I was able to get my Virginia license so now I'm licensed in all three jurisdictions. This year I'll be working on getting my GRI designation. GRI is Graduate of Real Estate Institute. It basically means I'll know a little bit more than the average real estate agent because I've taken advanced real estate classes and passed the test. There are three series of classes. I've passed one already and have the second and third coming up in March and April. It will be a busy year!

The real estate market continues to churn away. The market isn't cooling, it's just becoming more fair, more fair for buyers and sellers. I continue to get asked if the market is slowing down. No, people are still buying and selling homes. Prices are coming down obviously. If the price is too high to begin with, it will come down if the seller is interested in actually selling. Here's the thing that I believe sellers forget. If the house is an investment, it's like any other kind of investment, there are risks, there are ups and downs. It's all on paper anyway and you don't get the value until you sell. I think that the market is in great shape. Houses are sitting a little longer. The market always slows a bit this time of the year. It means that agents have to work harder though. I love it!

I haven't talked about politics in a while but there is too much happening for me not to say something. Is it really ok to listen in on the conversations of American citizens without a court order? Is it really ok to hand out gifts and favors in exchange for favorable votes on legislation? Was Marion Berry really allowing two young men to help him with his groceries, did they really rob him? Why are so many DC Council members running for mayor and totally ignoring the fact that baseball is good for the city's revenue coffers? They should stop playing politics and work out a deal and move on. Maryland is reaping the benefits of the Washington Redskins being in Landover now because DC politicians couldn't stop the ego play. If we're not careful, our so called leaders will return this city to the crappy place it was 10 years ago. I don't want to see that happened but I'm afraid that's where we're headed.

And speaking of the Redskins, I am thrilled to no end that they are finally in a playoff game for he first time in six years. It feels good especially since Dallas isn't going to the playoffs and Dallas lost it's last game of the season and we have a better record than they do and we beat them twice. Love it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home